Apr 6, 2009

Paper due

Ok, I admit that I like most technologies. In many ways they make our lives easier. In many ways they make our lives harder.

I am working on a paper that is due tomorrow about the democratic role of the media in the war in Iraq. Sounds intriguing doesn't it. Yeah me too, that is why I am writing this instead of the paper. This is where the problem of technology comes into play. We have to have typed papers, no exceptions. That means I have to sit down at the computer and write it. However, as we all know, the Internet can be very distracting. It is way too easy to start checking email which leads to something else. Then you remember that you wanted to look into something else so you look that up. Before long, an hour has passed and you have only written 2 paragraphs.

As I was watching conference this weekend, they had a special on Elder Worthlin's life. They said that he had a typewriter in his office that he would type on 3x5 cards every day before dawn. I remember thinking when I saw that, that that (yes I just used 3 that's in a row) was amazing. How cool would it be to have a typewriter? I have only had to type a couple of papers in my life on one and know that they can be a pain too. I just think that some technology enhances our lives in some ways while messing it up in others. Oh well, maybe I can get back to my paper now.

Update:
Another thing that I do like when it comes to papers is sleeping on them. No not literally but figuratively. Even though I am not a morning person, I tend to write my best after I go to bed thinking about it and then wake up at 5am to finish writing it. Something about that process helps me think more clearly.

2 comments:

Miss Me said...

Hey, I totally caught that about the typewriter too. It made me wish that life was that easy again and a little less complicated. Good luck with your paper.....boring subject but I'm sure it'll be exciting by the time your through with it!

Pops said...

Guess what, Gregster...I'm still writing papers @ 3x's your age. Haven't figured out how not to do it. This bit of news should make you excited as you look forward in life! luv...pops