May 25, 2008

sleep

Last night as I tossed & turned in bed I came up with a theory of sleep. How many of us wake up in the same position we went to sleep in? I think that our bodies become creatures of habit when it comes to sleep. Here is my theory:



  • We all have positions of sleep that we like. I thought of this as position A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I, etc...
  • During the night we cycle through these positions in somewhat the same order.
  • If we wake up during the night, in order for us to go back to sleep we need to find the correct position.
Now from years of experience, & my observations last night I came to this conclusion....there are many positions that might feel good, but if you find the exact one you'll fall asleep fast. For example, it is 4:00 am & you just woke up for something. You roll around in bed until you get comfortable but you still end up lying there and maybe switching positions a few more times. What if your body knows that it wants position H at 4:00am everyday but you never do it. You will eventually fall asleep & your body will probably put you in position H as soon as your asleep. I think that if we rolled to position H in the first place, our body would almost instantly fall asleep.

I have no idea if this makes any sense to anyone else but me. I'm half tempted to record myself sleeping for a few nights to test out my theory. If it is true, I should see myself in the same positions at the same times every night. Hmmmm..........

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sleeping out here has been a whole new experience for me. I usually am out the entire night, no problems. But lately we've had HUGE thunderstorms at like 4AM, and I wake up in a nervous panic thinking a twister is going to hit us. Ahhh, sleep. I miss you.